The Stars


When I lived in France, my fellow international students used to ask each other what we missed the most from home. We had one rule though: the answer couldn't be people or food. Why? Because, with out that rule, it always was. (Yes, whether we ex-pats admit it or not, generally the most missed things while abroad are family, friends, and food). So what do I miss most about America – sorry dear ones, for the time England is home – that is not family, friends or food?

The stars. Right now, what I miss most about America is the stars. Anyone who’s ever lived in both the city and the countryside knows what I’m talking about. There is a marked difference in looking up at the sky when the city lights cancel out the beauty of the stars.

I’ve been thinking a lot about stars lately. After a few late night car rides in the US, I got to spend a lot of time looking at the stars.

Do you know why God made the stars?

No? Well He tells us. Genesis 1:16-18 reads as follows:

“God made two great lights – the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. God set them in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth, to govern the day and the night and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that is was good.”

The stars are part of God's plan to separate light from darkness. During the day, we have the sun. It creates light. But at night, we just have darkness. And then we have the stars. Did you know that the Sun is a big star? So what we call 'the stars' are just little versions of the sun.

And that reminded me of the fact that me, I'm just a little version of the Son. Or that's what I'm supposed to be. I'm supposed to help separate darkness from light. I'm supposed to shine. I'm a reminder that there is the Light.

I love the stars. I miss looking up at them at night. But the stars they're really just a reminder, that I'm there to separate the light and darkness.

The Stars

I wish you could see
The stars the way I do
Spread across
The sky of deepest midnight blue
Held by Creator God
In place
The same way He
Suspends time and space
I wish you could see
Those same hands hold you and me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photography: {Hewett Wedding}

Far Away Yet Together