And Though She Be But Little She Is ...



As someone who can be best described as ... petite, I've always found this particular Shakespeare quote relatable. Yes I may be small, but just because I lack in height doesn't mean I'm short anywhere else.

I know, it was a bad pun.

There is something about that quote that draws me. I want to be fierce.

But why I ask myself? Why do I want or need to be fierce?

Because I want to be strong and independent, to hold my own when it needs holding. To have it all together and to fight my own battles. When life's challenges come calling, I want to be ready. I want to be fierce.

Or so I thought.
"Oh, when she’s angry, she is keen and shrewd! 
She was a vixen when she went to school.  
And though she be but little, she is fierce."
Oh, context, there you are.

This famous Shakespearian quote, the battle cry of those of us who are or feel little but want to be taken seriously, was not about that at all.

Instead it was one woman insulting another; let's just say the description is not meant to be a compliment.

And as I pondered this recently discovered context today, I thought of another favorite line of mine. This one written by Paul in the book of Romans (12:20):
"On the contrary: 'If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this you will heap burning coals on his head.'
Instead of calling us to be fierce in the light of unpleasantness and challenge (or in this case enemies), Paul states that we are to simply be kind.

So I want this to be my battle cry. The way people look at me. I don't want them to look at me and say "she is fierce."

No I want them to look at me and say "and though she be but little she is kind."

Comments

  1. Fierce would more aptly describe me and that's the way I want it. www.joanna-fitysomething.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Joanna! I appreciate that not everyone will agree with me. I too at one point had the same opinion. As someone who is small in stature, I thought that this quote described who I wanted to be (because I wanted the world to take note). But after seeing it in context, I had a little bit of a rethink. And, although I didn't mention it in the blog above, I was reminded also of how Peter mentions that a woman can win her unbelieving husband (surely it can also be applied to other situations with unbelievers) in 1 Peter 3:4 "Instead, it should be that your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight." Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'm going to be a pansy and let people walk all over me. But I do want to respond in situations and take on life in a way that is 'of great worth in God's sight' and not one which the world says I should have.

      Again, thanks for coming over for a read and commenting!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Culture, Citizenship & Hiraeth (Part 1)

The Stars