Heaven's Triumph


They spent three years of their life following Him; they had given it all up. Homes, jobs, families.

But as the sun set on that Friday, the body of their Lord was lying in a borrowed tomb.

What now?

Huddled together, locked in a room.

Shock. Tears. Grief. Numbness. Fear. Uncertainty.

This wasn't how it was supposed to end.

Every dream, every hope, gone. Vanished. The center of their lives had been brutally beaten, mocked, humiliated and hung on a cross.

The questions. The inability to cope much less move on. What was there even to move on too? Did they just go back to the way it was? Could they? Did they have another choice?

Three days. Three long excruciating days ...

***

I've often though that for Jesus' disciples and followers, the day we call Good Friday was anything but "good".

Every year Good Friday rolls around and those thoughts cross my mind.

I'm reminded of a promise made and forgotten.
We are going up to Jerusalem, and the Son of Man will be betrayed to the chief priests and the teachers of the law. They will condemn Him to death and will turn Him over to the Gentiles to be mocked and flogged and crucified. On the third day He will be raised to life. (Matthew 20:18-19, NIV)
And I am reminded of how often I follow in the footsteps on the disciples. When something doesn't go the way I think it will, when hurt or heartache find their way into my life,when the future is uncertain.  Little things. Big things. I find myself in that same place.

I am also reminded of the promises He has made, too numerous to count. The ones I too often forget.

Then I'm reminded that after Friday comes Sunday. Because even as I question what next or why it happened so differently than I thought it would, Jesus is moving.

You see on the very first Good Friday as the world rejoiced and the believers mourned, behind the scenes something was happening. Something no one could see.

Hell's reign came crashing down, and Heaven triumphed once and for all.

***
Mary Magdalene went to the disciples with the news: "I have seen the Lord!" ... He showed them His hands and side. The disciples were overjoyed when they saw the Lord. (John 20:18a & 20b)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Culture, Citizenship & Hiraeth (Part 1)

The Stars