Not My Home


I am not here to make apologies for my lack of blogs since the beginning of the year. This year abroad has been much busier (in both good and hard ways) than the one I spent in France or the eight months I spent in the US in between. I am here to share a bit with you though.

Today was the end of a long weekend visit from my older sister, Hannah.

She came over to England on Thursday and we spent a fun filled weekend together traveling and celebrating her birthday; *hopefully* more on that in another blog soon.

However, today I dropped her off at the train station in Leeds and she is currently on her way to London to catch a flight back to America tomorrow morning.

This made me sad. I think I am beginning to realize that this is my life now, whether I am here or in America. I am growing up and that means that from now on I will have quick visits with family and friends. Long distance texting, calls, and Skype dates. And it certainly does make me miss being stateside.

As I rode the bus home by myself, I was reminded of something that has been on my heart lately: being a foreigner.

Right now I am literally a foreigner in a land that is not my own. I am far away from home and family and everything that I claim as my own.

Metaphorically, I am a foreigner in a land that is not my own. The writer of Hebrews (11:13-16) describes how the believers of the Old Testament recognized this:
"All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance. And they admitted that they were aliens and strangers on earth. People who say such things show that they are looking for a country of their own. If they had been thinking of the country they had left, they would have had opportunities to return. Instead, they were longing for a better country - a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He prepared a city for them."
Ultimately this world is not my home. Having lived overseas twice now, this truly hits home. But I want to learn to truly long for a heavenly country, to stop looking back towards the country I leave behind (be that the US, France, the UK) and to start looking toward Heaven as my home.

In the next few months, I will begin to make some decisions about what God would have me do next; decisions for which I greatly covet your prayers. Decisions that I cannot truly make if I categorize myself as a citizen of the United States (as proud as I am of that fact) or as a resident of Britain (as much as I do enjoy it here) because if I look back I will always be looking for those opportunities to return to what I had.

Will you join me in focusing on a better country - a heavenly one? Will you pray for me as I do?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Love Story

Far Away Yet Together