Adopted

After a nearly month long absence, I'm back. I'm not here to wow you with pictures, stories of trips, or anything along those lines. Because none of those things have happened. If you'll allow me a moment of honesty, the past few weeks have been about keeping my head above the wave of classes, reading lists, assignments, and life. And wondering what I'd gotten myself into. There was more than one day when I read my 'stone of remembrance' draft blog post.

But that's not what I'm here to write about either.

I want to share with you about adoption.

Today is Adoption Sunday in the UK. We talked about it in church this morning. Physical adoption. And spiritual adoption.

Allow me to share with you (some of) the verses that were shared with us this morning:
"For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry 'Abba, Father.' The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are heirs -- heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ." ~ Romans 8:15-17a
Just read that a few times. Let it sink in.

This is not the first time I've heard or read these verses. In fact, it's not the tenth, the twentieth, or even the fiftieth time.

But it may be the first time they have truly sunken into the core of who I am.

You did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear.

I am a child of God. I do not have to fear my acceptance, my significance, or my security. I don't have to wonder if I've done enough, if I've done it all wrong, or if I can come home when I mess up. I don't have to live in fear. That is freeing.

You received the Spirit of sonship.

In Biblical times, sons inherited everything. I am a 'son' of God (as we did in church today we will ignore the political correctness). I inherit all the good things of my Father.

We cry 'Abba, Father'.

Abba: it means Daddy. There is something intimate and special about Daddy. It's what I still call my father. Daddy, a little girl's cry to her protector, first love, and strength.

We are heirs ... co-heirs with Christ.

I am adopted into this family. Not because I deserved it or earned it. No because I was chosen to be a co-heir with Christ. Jesus Christ is my spiritual brother.

I am adopted.

On this day, when I am far away from my biological family, far away from my home church which will soon be celebrating homecoming, I am part of a family. I have a family of fellow believers in my new church. But even more importantly, I am a child of God. Adopted, loved, important, accepted, secure.

I don't know if that makes any sense or if it means anything to you. But I can say this, when it becomes heart knowledge instead of head knowledge, it makes all the differences in the world. For me, today, it clicked. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Culture, Citizenship & Hiraeth (Part 1)

Culture, Citizenship & Hiraeth (Part 2)