Stones of Remembrance

"When the whole nation had finished crossing the Jordan, the Lord said to Joshua, "Choose twelve men from among the people, one from each tribe, and tell them to take up twelve stones from the middle of the Jordan, from right where the priests are standing, and carry them over with you and put them down at the place where you stay tonight."" (Joshua 4:1-3)

Joshua calls them a memorial. I like to call them stones of remembrance.

When God does something great, you take something to remember it by. When time has gone by, you look back at that 'stone' and you remember what God has done.

In the passage above, Israel had just entered the promise land. Quite spectacularly, I might add. God had dried up the Jordan River so they could cross. To remember what He had done, He instructed them to take twelve stones and place them together as a monument to Him. When future generations passed by, they would ask what the stones were there for and the story would be told of what God had done.

I have a stone of remembrance. It's for my future career. My stone of remembrance is an unpublished blog. It was long and lengthy, and I wrote a shorter more succinct version to actually publish, but that first draft was never deleted. It is a recording of how God led me to the career path that, for the moment, He is pulling me toward. It starts my senior year of high school and I mark all the things that led me to that day last year when God said, "Here. I want you here."

It's my stone. My reminder. It's not very visible. Maybe I need to make it more so. Because it is a marker. It screams, "Look what God has done for you."

When things are overwhelming or when I'm not totally convinced that I can do what I've set out to do, it is there. Reminding me that God has gone before me and He is walking with me. That I am not in this alone.

We all need stones of remembrance. God knew that Israel would need to look back on that moment; He wanted them to. It was important; they needed to be able to look back and be reminded that God is God, He had gotten them there, and He would take them wherever they were going next.

I need my stone of remembrance.

What about you? Do you have a way to remind yourself of what God has done for you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Love Story

Far Away Yet Together

Not My Home