The 60 MPH Slow Down

Yesterday I was driving to my new apartment. It's actually my sister's apartment, but for me it's my new apartment. It will be home for the next four months at least. It was "move-in day".

I was driving along the back country roads that lie between my parents house and the city, going around 60 miles per hour (96 kph).

It felt like I was crawling.

Honestly, I think I was counting the number of weeds along the side of the road. For an American road, going 60 mph is pretty quick. Unless you're on the interstate. But still, it is nothing to sneeze at.

Unless you're used to high-speed trains that zip through the countryside at 200 miles per hour.

After living in France and taking their high-speed train network everywhere I went, my perceptions on speed changed. 60 mph feels like crawling.

I didn't actually want to drive any faster; I was after all in control of a huge piece of metal. I wanted to stay in control. But it felt like I was moving in slow motion, and I wasn't a fan.

But that's when I remembered a key verse from this past week's Sunday School lesson, Pslam 46:10:
Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.
It was a 60 mile per hour slow down. Be still. It's something God has been teaching me lately.

Control freak that I am, I feel like I always need a plan. I always need to fix the problem. I always need to be busy doing something.

Be still. He keeps whispering that to me. Be still. Not for the sake of being still,either. I am to be still in order that I might know that He is God. So that He can have the plan. So that He can fix the problem. So that He can be busy. Because when He does all of those things He is exalted.

Be still.

If you go back and read the rest of Psalm 46, the writer is describing some pretty desperate times. Earthquakes. Floods. Wars.  But he also describes peace: where God is.

In spite of, or perhaps because of, all the things that are going on around us, we are to be still. Because then we will know God.

Just like going 60 when I am used to going 200 is hard, being still isn't easy. There are so many things I wanted to do. Things I think I need to do. But I know what God is trying to teach me and I know what I need to work on because I hear that whisper.

Be still.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Culture, Citizenship & Hiraeth (Part 1)

The Stars