Wherever He Leads I'll Go


Wherever He leads I'll go

One year ago - if you would have asked - I would have told you that I had wanderlust in my veins. If you counted living at college, I had lived in eight places in twenty years. Now that number is nine. Nine places, twenty-one years. I really do enjoy new places. But if you remember my post about roots, then you'll know that the wanderlust is at war with the need for something solid and lasting.

Wherever He leads I'll go

Today I sit here and I am six weeks from going home. I am more than a little bit excited. Living in the here and now: I'm trying, but it gets more difficult with each day I get closer to home, to my family.

I'll follow my Christ who loves me so

But there is a catch to that. If everything works out with my grant and application to a master's program, I'll be home for about eight months before I will leave for another year. After that, I'll have to move yet again to find a job. As excited as I am about the field that I plan to work in, what I really want right now is permanency; something I won't get for another year and a half, at least. I want a place to call home; I want a family in that home.

Wherever He leads I'll go

And lately I've found myself daydreaming about that future. Where will I live? Who will I be there with? Because if I'm honest, God isn't working on my timeline and right now I just want to figure this out.

My heart, my life, my all I bring

This morning God put the breaks on that. With a tweet. "How can you sing 'where He leads me I will go' if you don't have a passport?" the tweet read. Well, I have a passport, I thought, and He has lead. Then it hit me: what if He leads me to go again? What if that means no roots for a really long time? No home of my own? No family?

To Christ who loves me so

And that's when I reached for my Bible. When I opened it, I was at Psalm 115. The first verse says:
"Not to us, O Lord, not to us but to Your name be the glory, because of Your love and faithfulness."
He is my Master, Lord, and King

It struck me (for the millionth time) that this is not about me. It's about God and His glory. But He does love me and He will be faithful to me wherever He asks me to go. So this morning, I am going to sing that hymn until I mean it. Even if it scares me to death.

Wherever He leads I'll go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Culture, Citizenship & Hiraeth (Part 1)

Culture, Citizenship & Hiraeth (Part 2)