The Here and Now

Conflicted. That was what I was going to originally entitle this post.

That's how I feel right now. I'm conflicted. As I approach the 50-days-until-home mark, my feelings are all mixed up. I am so very excited to go home and see my family. I've been away from home for ten months now. That is a long time. Longer than I've ever been gone before. The people (and places) I love are all associated with home - South Carolina. Part of me is counting down the days.

The other part isn't, though. In spite of all the ups and downs (or perhaps because of them), I have truly enjoyed my time in France. I still pinch myself when I realize I've been to Paris four different times now and I spent a week in Italy to celebrate my birthday. The best part, by far, has been the people. All the beautiful, precious friendships. I believe I am in denial; I can't quite wrap my head around the thought that we will have to say goodbye.

Part of me can't wait to leave, part of me never wants too. That's conflicted if I ever saw it.

But last night I was reminded about the here and now.

I was talking to a friend and we were sharing stories of living overseas: the adjustments, the culture shock, the hard things, and the exciting things.

During that conversation, she talked about making the choice to stay focused on "the here and now": where she is and what she is there to do.

And I realized that I wasn't fully doing that.

I am here in Poitiers. I am here because God sent me here. He called me here. He has a purpose for me being here. Until I leave, that is my "here and now." And until that time, I need to stay in it.

Don't get me wrong. I do need to think about some of the logistics of going home. I am still excited to see my family. I did have to register for my last semester of classes. It's not that I don't need to plan; I just don't need to let the future consume my focus.

The future is good. I know that God has many amazing things in it. But He has amazing things for me right here, right now.

I am reminded of the words of Jim Elliot; I leave you with them.
"Wherever you are, be all there. Live to the hilt every situation you believe to be the will of God."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Culture, Citizenship & Hiraeth (Part 1)

The Stars