#PrayforPoitiers

That was my hash tag yesterday.

Yesterday was the International Mission Board's (IMB) Day of Prayer for European People. If you follow me on Twitter or Facebook, you might have seen my virtual prayer walk of the city throughout the day.

International missions has always seemed that: international. I've met international missionaries; I've heard and read the stories. But they all seemed so far away. So when I saw that the IMB had a day of prayer for European people, I was really excited. I'm in Europe after all! This day wasn't just a day of prayer for a far away land. It was for my home for the year. My European country, my city. The people I know.

I decided the evening before to prayer walk around the city. Quite honestly, it isn't something that I had done before. But I had the chance to pray in the city, so I didn't want to just sit at home.

Along the way, I started snapping photos on my iPod so that I could share my prayer walk with others. I wanted to take the abstract out of the idea of "Day of Prayer for European People."


I started at the Cathedral around the corner from my house. It's a beautiful  building, and it's huge! But it and what it represents is empty. On a Sunday morning the building was psychically empty when I went. What is taught is a religion of rules and prayers and liturgy. There is no relationship with Jesus Christ. In fact only 1% of the French population considers themselves evangelical Christians. Here I prayed that the people of Poitiers would come to a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.


I walked the streets praying for the people who lived behind the doors and windows I passed. Then I came to my favorite boulangerie (French for a place where bread is sold). As I stood in the plaza, I prayed that the people of France, and specifically Poitiers, would find the Bread of Life - Jesus Christ.


As I walked through the shopping district of the city, I came to one of the bookstores in the city. I was reminded that 80% of French people have never owned or seen a Bible. I have several back home. I have access to it on each of my mobile devices and my computer. I have my hard copy Bible with me. But many of them have never even seen a Bible. I prayed that they would.

Next I walked to the train station.


I stood on the bridge overlooking the tracks. And I prayed that God would send students and professionals who love Him to this city to tell others.


I also stopped briefly outside of my school. It was a Sunday so the gates were closed, but I prayed on the sidewalk for the students - French and international - who attend to meet Jesus.


And last, but certainly not least, I prayed in my own studio. Why? Because it plays host to a Bible study each week for international students and occasionally French students. In fact, tonight we will have another such gathering.

Would you join me in continuing to pray for Poitiers? And would you pray for Bible study tonight and each Monday from now on?

Here are somethings you can pray for:

  • Me: pray that God will reveal what He wants me to say each week
  • International students: pray that God will lead them to come and to ask questions; pray that those who are coming who are Believers will invite others
  • French students: pray that French students will attend the Bible study as well
  • Leadership: pray that when I leave in December we will have leadership in place for the Bible study to continue next semester

Comments

  1. Excelent Post. Unfortunettly french people is forgetting any ties with God and any religions, atheism is normal, and christianism is seen just as a cultural legacy. It is extremly sad to see so beutiful old temples and realize how empty they are. However there are still some remaining groups, that dont have fear of showing their faith. I used to go to Saint Porchaire Church, which was allways full of people during sunday services, and with good relationship between people and Jesus. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are definitely some strong Christian communities in Europe!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Love Story

Far Away Yet Together

Not My Home