Birthdays and Trips

I think I might be dreaming. But if I am, I don't want to wake up.

I'm less than seven days away from my twenty-first birthday.

I'm celebrating said birthday with a week long backpacking trip through Italy. Pinch me. Or don't.

I have to keep reminding myself this is real.

You probably won't hear from me for a little while, at least a week, via blog. For those of you who follow me on Facebook or Twitter, watch for snippets of my travels there. I can't wait to get back and share all about this trip.

Until I do, here are a few thoughts on birthdays.

Birthdays

Are they just a date
Random, one out of three hundred sixty five
A landmark or just
Another year alive

Why do we look
With eager anticipation when young
And dread as years pass

We think cake and ice cream
Family and friends
Wishes and laughter and presents
Perhaps a party to attend

Sweet sixteen
Twenty-one
Then "Over The Hill" we go

I think birthdays are more
They're choice of a Father
Whose first gift was life
Then blood that can cleanse
And make a black heart white

So celebrate I will
But as I do
I'll say "Thank You"
To God, who first said,
"Happy birthday, dear child, to you."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Culture, Citizenship & Hiraeth (Part 1)

The Stars