The Grove: {Just Breathe}

This week' sword prompt over at The Grove caught my attention.

Breathe.

When I saw it, I almost laughed. What that word means to me. There's the literal and then there is what God reminds me, the spiritual. Let's start with the literal.

"Don't forget to breathe."

It sounds like a silly statement, but I hear it quite often from friends and family. I have asthma. And sometimes I forget to breathe. When things get intense, I just stop. My lungs don't do what they are naturally supposed to, and I have to remember to breathe. I've been reminded of that this past week as my asthma has had a small flair up. And so I've found myself focusing on breathing.

Just breathe. In. Out. In. Out. A little deeper. In. Out. In. Out. Don't focus on that. Just breathe. In. Out. In. Out. Let everything else fade. Just breathe.

And I let myself settle into the rhythm, focusing on something I all too often take for granted. Something that should be an extension of me.

And therein lies the spiritual.

My relationship with Jesus should be an extension of me. But sometimes I take it for granted, sometimes I forget. I think it will just keep going, and I stop focusing on it. And then it stops. Not because of Him, but because of me.

It should be the very air that I breathe.

But I must focus on it.

Jesus. How may I honor You today? Jesus. What can I do to bring You glory? Jesus. Let everything else fade. Just Jesus.

And I let myself settle into the rhythm, focusing on something I all too often take for granted. Something that should be an extension of me.

Comments

  1. Focus on breathing??...exactly my thought! Why?? Because we take it so for granted...I take it for granted...just like I take God for granted most of the time. God breathed life into me...into mankind. He is my essence. Every breath should be a GOOD REMINDER to focus on HIM, right? so simple & yet I'm challenged!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes and Amen! We do need a reminder to focus on the physical deep breathing and spiritual deep breathing. How often I catch myself shallow breathing--both physically and spiritually. Great reminder to not take our breath for granted.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Love Story

Far Away Yet Together

Not My Home