Cooking in France: {Stove Top Southern Biscuits}

I really like food. I also really like to cook. One of my favorite things to do at school was to have friends over for dinner. There are few things that are better than good food shared with good friends.

Dinner and Duck Dynasty with one of my housemates. 
Since I've been in France, food has been somewhat of a challenge for me. All the things I'm used to cooking, I can't. Well, not all of them, but a pretty good chunk. I'm realizing just how dependent I am on things like an oven. And peanut butter. And my crock pot. And the fact that chicken is cheap in the US. It's all about the little things, people.

One of my first meals: a warm spinach salad with mushrooms and carrots.
I've been eating a lot of veggie based dishes because their cheap and easy to find. Which isn't the case with a lot of the food I'm used to using. Every time I manage to replicate (or get close to replicating) a dish from home, I have a little happy moment.

Fried chicken tenders, sauteed green beans, and smashed potatoes.
Of course, the victories have come with their share of failures. Like the Swiss cheese macaroni and cheese. Yikes. That is a bad memory.

Today (after a lot of internet research) I had a victory. Biscuits!

Yes, good, family-recipe, homemade biscuits.

The crazy part? I made them on top of the stove. Yep, you read that right.

So how does one make Stove Top Southern Biscuits? I'm so glad you asked.

First, ingredients and supplies.

Biscuits in their 'raw' form.
The recipe I use calls for self-rising flour which I don't have. So I made it.

I took two cups of flours, five 'turns' of my salt grinder, and one 11 oz. pack of baking powder and mixed them together. So exact, right?

Self-rising flour is born.
After that, I added approximately two-thirds cups of milk and one-third cup of canola oil. I say approximately because I only have a measuring cup that measures ounces. Then, I mixed it all up.

As I was mixing up the dough, I had a dutch oven style pot with lid on heating up of a burner that was turned on high. After the dough was mixed, I moved the pot to a burner that was turned on low. I added dollops of biscuit dough and covered the pot.

It just needs the lid and then it'll be ready to go.
Twelve minutes later: biscuits! Of course, the first batch of biscuits were a bit too big to cook all the way through. But after adjusting the size they were perfect. Or as perfect as biscuits without an oven will be.

Can't wait to serve these to my friends!

Do you have any unconventional recipes? Or just a recipe that you think would fit my stove-top-only lifestyle? I'd love to hear any ideas.

Comments

  1. we are planning to leave Canada for long term placement in Malawi this August
    This recipe might work well over the fire of our outdoor kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was actually adapted from several recipes that were meant to be cooked on a campstove or over a fire.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Love Story

Far Away Yet Together

Not My Home