Flight Delays, Fortune Cookies, and My Full Attention

I should be in Poitiers, France right now. I should be unpacking and setting my room to rights and telling myself I need to stay up for at least another four hours before I can consider going to bed. I should be enjoying 55° F weather.

Instead, I'm home. It's 22° F. And it feels like 13° F. I won't be in my apartment in France until this weekend.

In spite of the fact that I'm cold and questioning, God still loves me enough to speak. In the last twenty-four hours He has been speaking. And I'm trying hard to listen.

As I left the airport yesterday in a car rather than a plane, I wasn't the happiest camper with God. Due to flight delays, I had been told I wasn't leaving the country until Wednesday. My conversation with God went something like this:

"Ok, God. I'm not very happy. Um, didn't You just do all this awesome work with the visas to get us where we could leave today. So why stop now? Why not let us go? I don't understand Your plan."

Yes, I know: it wasn't a conversation. That was more like a one-sided diatribe. I could give you lots of excuses, but I'm not going to. I'm going to be real, honest.

The good thing is God chose to answer me. He did it with love, grace, and patience.

After my little rant, I heard God pretty loudly and clearly.

"You may not understand, Beloved, but I do. That's enough."

And then He confirmed that still small little voice. With a fortune cookie.

I've never heard God speak through a fortune cookie. But there is a first time for everything.
After I read that, it was like hearing God again:

"Trust Me. Let that be your attitude. I'll take care of the rest."

I struggled with that. I prayed (I probably didn't pray as much as I should have). I hurt. And God stood there with me.

Then this morning, rather than pull my Bible out of my luggage, I opened my laptop to one of my Bible programs and opened up the last Bible version I had used.
'And again, "I will put my trust in Him."' - Hebrews 2:13a
The verse was highlighted. It was like that when I opened the program.


God, I'm listening. You have my full and undivided attention. You've given me a hundred chances to trust You on this journey. Every time I've said no, You've come back to me and said here's another chance. So this morning, I say this to You: "Again I will put my trust in You."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Culture, Citizenship & Hiraeth (Part 1)

Culture, Citizenship & Hiraeth (Part 2)