Roots

Tonight, I'm sitting in my little college apartment, and I'm 12 hours away from taking my last final. That also puts me at 14 hours away from the being finished with school at Francis Marion University for a year. That makes me excited (I'm ready for break) and sad (do I really have to say goodbye to all my friends?).

In spite of the fact that I should probably be thinking strictly about operating leverage versus financial leverage and other finance subjects, tonight I'm thinking about the places I've lived. For the past four months or so, I've lived in a little two person apartment with my sister. Before that, I lived in a four bedroom place that's right across the road. During my freshman year of college, I was in a dorm room. I've lived in 3 different spaces in two and a half years.

Apartment door for the Duck Dynasty fall 2013 season premier.
And that's just college.

Now I have to admit, there is a part of me that, strangely enough, loves to move. Having done it so often growing up, it's almost second nature. I think I have a little wanderlust in my veins, too. I enjoy going to new places. I really do. Sometimes I even get a little bored when I stay in one place for a long time.

But there's also a part of me that yearns to put down roots.

When I think about the phrase "putting down roots", I think about a large old oak tree standing by the banks of a river. There is something lasting, generational even about that image that makes something deep down inside of me hurt just a little.

Then I remember that I'm going to move again. And the wanderlust in my veins perks up. After all, I'm going to have a little flat in France. A dream come true!

But my roots, that place deep inside of me sighs just a little. One day I'll have my roots planted.

Then this verse (John 15:5) came to mind:
"I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."
There is so much meaning for me in that verse tonight. I may not feel like I have physical roots. But I do have spiritual ones. Jesus is my Root. He is my Foundation. One that will go with me no matter where I am physically.

Tonight the Holy Spirit is whispering both admonishment and encouragement: Remain attached to the Root.

What about you? Do you have physical roots? Are you attached to the Root?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Love Story

Far Away Yet Together

Not My Home