Grand Plans, Balloons, and A New Outlook (Part 2)

So when you read my last post, we talked about grand plans and balloons. Now it's time to talk about a new outlook.

Here is where we left off. I'm going to an area of a country that has no missionaries; proportionately, one of the highest populations in the world of people who consider themselves "convinced atheists"; is known as a "missionary graveyard"; and at best I am unsure about whether there is an evangelical church in the area.

Grand plans: POP.

So where does that leave me? Still sure that God wants me in France? Yep. I wouldn't have gotten this far if He didn't want me there. Trust me. Several parts of this journey have stretched me past what I thought I was capable of. Only God could have brought me this far.

The outlook sure looks dim though, doesn't it? If it were about me and what I could do, I'd say the outlook was impossible. But that's the thing: I'm learning to have a new outlook. It's not about me or my grand plans. I know you've heard it a thousand times. But we all still dream about the awesome things we're going to do. Christians dream about going to do missions in a foreign country and how many hundreds they'll lead to the Lord.

When I started making my grand plans, I stopped seeking eagerly. I thought I could do it.

But I can't.

I'll never be able to love the people I encounter during my year enough. I'll never have the right thing to say. I'm not super-Christian. There is no such thing. I can't change the world; only God can.

So when my balloon popped and I tripped over my pride, I fell on my face. Where I should have been all along. And I'm beginning to seek eagerly again.

I'm seeking to love Him. There will be times when I am frustrated with those around me and I don't want to love them. But I will love Him and because He loves them (John 3:16), He will teach me to love them. That will be enough.

I'm seeking to trust Him. I don't have all the answers.  He tells me to trust Him, not to worry (Luke 12: 6-7; 22). That will be enough.

I'm seeking to let Him sustain me. It may not be easy. I may or may not have the fellowship of a community of believers. And I may never know or see why He is sending me. But He promises He'll go with me (Matthew 28:20). That will be enough.

That's the new outlook I'm trying to live by. I'm working on letting go of my grand plans and just seek Him eagerly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Love Story

Far Away Yet Together

Not My Home