Giving Thanks During Thanksgiving

In just a few days it will be Thanksgiving. To be quite honest, this time of the year comes with mixed feelings. I love the food, family, and fellowship that come with the season. However, I am not such a big fan of the memories of Thanksgiving a few years ago when I slept in a hospital because my grandmother was dying. I think you can see why the season is bittersweet.

In spite of those feelings, I do enjoy Thanksgiving. It reminds me to do something that often I don't take the time to do. Be thankful.

Today as I get ready to go home and celebrate Thanksgiving with my church over a Cajun style meal that my family has prepared, I would like to share with you a few of the things I'm thankful for.

Jesus: how would any list be complete without Him? I wouldn't even have a list if I didn't have Jesus.

Family: as the reality that I might not see my family in person for a year sets in, this one becomes all the more precious.

Friends: God has blessed me with so many precious people that I call be this name.

France: how could I not be thankful for the wonderful opportunity God has given me to go to a country I have always wanted to go to?

I would call those the 'big ones'. Of course, I have other things I'm thankful for: my clothes, house, car, financial aid, food, etc. I'm thankful for the little details in life. For example, my "Christmas tree" that isn't really a tree but it's the next best thing.

Creative College Christmas Tree
I'm also thankful for the sovereignty of God. When I began this journey to go to France, I didn't have answers to the many questions I had. I still don't. But God is slowly, surely unveiling His plan for the next year of my life. In the past week, He guided me through social media to a church in my city in France. Through that, He showed me a group of college students who meet to study God's word.

I am thankful for God whispering "I am already there. I am already working. I have gone before you and I will go behind you." I am thankful for a God who loves me enough to remind me that He doesn't need me but chooses to use me.

What are you giving thanks for as we approach this Thanksgiving?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Love Story

Far Away Yet Together

Not My Home