Far Away Yet Together

Recently, through Twitter I discovered a community of women, Velvet Ashes, who are living or have lived overseas doing ministry. Now as a young woman who will soon be going overseas and who wants to serve and minister to the people who will be around me, I found this encouraging. I am so excited to learn from these ladies who have "been there, done that."

Each Friday, the women of Velvet Ashes will be blogging as an interactive group - The Grove. The blogs will be based on a word prompt. I can't promise I'll join in every week, but this week the prompt really made me think. So here it goes.

Today's word is:


When I saw together, my thoughts went straight to the opposite of together: far apart. In less than two months, I'll be far apart from everything I know: my family, my friends, my traditions, my church, my school. That list could go on. Even though I am so excited to being going to Europe, I know there will be hard days.

Well last night God gave me a small gift. I was at the first home basketball game of the season for my school. I was sitting with my campus minister and one of his daughters. I was enjoying watching my campus minister's daughter cheer on our women's team. When I was ready to go, I asked her if I could have a hug goodbye. After hugging me for thirty seconds, she took my hand, turned it around, and kissed my palm. Then she told me "That way when you go away, you can put it next to your heart."

I don't think she was talking about me going overseas. I don't think she even knows about that. But that was God's way of whispering to me that even when I am far apart from the familiar, it's all in my heart.

Comments

  1. Glad to have you join us at The Grove, Elizabeth! I hope Velvet Ashes will offer some courage and connection for you as you head overseas. Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danielle,

      Thank you so much! I'm looking forward to being a part of this community!

      Delete
  2. Elizabeth, sadly, you will be far apart. But you'll also be closer to some parts of your self and God and even others than you ever imagined. It's part of the paradox. I don't get how it works :) ... but it does. Welcome to the hot mess and joy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy,

    Thank you! I'm not sure I'm ready but I'm ready to see what God will do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love that sentiment from your campus minister. Going away is difficult. It is also a rich, deep experience you couldn't get any other way. I'm excited for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Culture, Citizenship & Hiraeth (Part 1)

Culture, Citizenship & Hiraeth (Part 2)