A Burnt Grilled-Cheese Sandwich Kind of Day

Yep, you read that title right. A few weeks ago, I had a burnt-grilled-cheese-sandwich-kind-of-day.

The day started slowly. That's not true. I started out slowly. I was trying so hard to get my act together, but before I knew it I needed to leave. I needed to track down professors so that I could get signatures for forms that I needed to turn in for the study abroad program. Needless to say, I didn't find them.

After three hours of classes - in which, for some reason beyond my understanding, I struggled to stay alert - I proceeded to again track down professors and turn in the forms. During all of this, I discovered that the plan I had for that night's Core Group wasn't going to work out.

A little before 2:00, I arrived back at my apartment and decided a nice grilled mozzarella cheese sandwich would be just what I needed for lunch. So I made my sandwich, put it in the pan, and let it cook away. While it was cooking, I sat at my computer and tried to get some stuff done.

And forgot about my sandwich.

When I finally remembered it, it was a little charred, so I quickly flipped it and went back to my computer. I only left it for a minute, but, you guessed it, it charred on the other side too. Maybe next time I won't put the stove on quite so high.

The good thing about burnt grilled cheese? It can be saved. A nice serrated knife can scrape the burnt parts off the sandwich. It was delicious.

God used that burnt grilled cheese to remind me that my burnt-grilled-cheese-sandwich-kind-of-day could still turn out ok. He had a plan to teach me something.

As I worked on Plan B for the Bible study, God and I had a real talk on my living room floor. I was reminded of just how great He is.

Do you know what the word awesome means?

Well according to Merriam-Webster Dictionary, awesome means "causing feelings of fear and wonder ... [and] of awe" and "extremely good".

When we use the word awesome, we probably mean it in the last context. For example, I might say "It's awesome to see you!" And what I probably mean is that it's extremely good to see you.

When I say God is awesome, I mean it in the former sense.

Thinking of God should cause feelings of wonder, awe, and, yes, fear. I mean, have you read Isaiah 40:12?

"He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth,
and its people are like grasshoppers.
He stretches out the heavens like a canopy
and spreads them out like a tent to live in."

If the thought that we are like grasshoppers in the eyes of God does not inspire you to feel wonder, awe, and fear, I don't know what will. Maybe the fact that He died for YOU?

Last week, those thoughts had me in tears on my living room floor thanking the God of the universe for being so Awesome.

What about you? When was the last time you stopped and took in the awesomeness of God?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Culture, Citizenship & Hiraeth (Part 1)

Culture, Citizenship & Hiraeth (Part 2)