Sometimes I Feel Like Moses

As I was sitting here preparing to write this blog post, I was thinking about a lot of the things that I have going on this week. Some things in particular were running through my mind. And I just felt really inadequate for those particular tasks. Honestly, I was thinking, "God, I can't do that."

You know I just love how God works. I was thinking that thought while at the same time sitting here wondering what do I blog about today. When another thought popped into my head:

"Sometimes I feel like Moses."

So I opened my Bible to the story of Moses and the burning bush to follow up on that thought. And then God started talking to me. Here's what I learned.

When God spoke to Moses through the burning bush, Moses had plenty of questions and excuses.

"Who am I, that I should go?" (Exodus 3:11)

"What if they do not believe me?" (Exodus 4:1)

"Lord, I have never spoken eloquently." (Exodus 4:10)

"Lord, please send someone else to do it." (Exodus 4:13)

Yep, sometimes I'm like Moses. I have so many questions. I come up with excuses. I ask God not to make me do it or to let someone else do it.

Do you know what God's response to Moses was?

"Then the Lord's anger burned against Moses." (Exodus 4:14)

I wonder if God was angry at Moses because, in doubting that he was right for the job of leading the Israelites out of Egypt, Moses was doubting that God had equipped him for the job.

If we back up to verses 11-12 of chapter 4, we'll find God's answer to Moses doubts.

"Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the Lord? Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say."

This morning I find those two verses beautiful. When I feel inadequate for a task God has given me, I am reminded that the God who gave me that task is the same God who created me to do that task. He gave me everything I need to serve Him exactly how He called me to. And on top of that, He promises to help me through it, just as He promised Moses:

"And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." (Matthew 28:20).

Today, I will take comfort in the fact that God created me to do a task. And instead of saying "Please send someone else," this morning I want to say, "Send me."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Love Story

Far Away Yet Together

Not My Home