One Of "Those Days"

Today was one of "those days." You've all heard that phrase. You've probably used it yourself. But it's kind of hard to define; really the meaning of that phrase changes day-to-day and person-to-person. So let me explain what I mean by "today was one of those days."

Today was a bit of a struggle. In spite of getting in bed at a really great time (10:45) last night, I woke up really tired. I struggled to wake myself up and get ready. As I headed off to work, I just didn't feel like doing it. While at work, I found out that there was (or had been earlier, still not sure on the details) a manhunt going on for suspected gunman across the road from school. That can freak a girl out just a bit, especially when we have to go on with life as usual. After heading back to my apartment (and corralling my very good imagination), I discovered there was not much food left that did not take an hour or so to cook. Not what I want to discover when I only have a short break before classes start. I settled on grits and an orange. After three hours of classes, I was even more tired but I sat down to study French vocabulary for about half and hour. Then I was off to do some grocery shopping. That got a little rough when I had to circle the food section of Walmart two times looking for the bread. Sadly, I shop there fairly often so I should know where that's located. Now, I'm sitting on my couch with a sink full of dishes, French quiz material, and a myriad of other things calling my name.

All those French vocabulary works. Yikes.
I don't say any of that to complain. No, I'm saying it because if we're honest, I think we would all say we have "those days." The days when craziness or just every day life feels overwhelming. The days when we get to the end of the day and there is still so much to do. The days when we feel like we're running on empty or we just feel empty. Those days.

These are the days when we try to convince ourselves it could be worse. And really it could be; it could be much worse. But that doesn't mean it wasn't a struggle.

Tonight rather than count my blessings (which isn't a bad thing), rather than tell myself how much worse off I could be, rather than try to pretend the stuff that still has to be done isn't there, I'm going to stop. I'm going to be still and know that God is God. I'm going to unplug and spend a little time with Jesus. Just me, Him, and the Word. No Christian music (again, not a bad thing; in fact on this subject, check out this song). No TV, no cellphone, no pod-casts, no theology. Nothing but me and Jesus.

I might read some Psalms that remind me that God's got it even when I don't. I might read about some of my favorite Biblical people. I don't really know. But I know one thing I will do. I'm going to take time tonight to put my focus on Jesus instead of me.  Because when I take time to praise God, He becomes my focus. When God is my focus, I'm like Peter in Matthew 14: I can walk on the water in my figurative storm because I'm not afraid.

It's still there.
Yes, I'll still be tired, there will still be dishes to do, and I'll still have to take that French quiz tomorrow. But I won't be afraid to face it because I'm walking towards the one who is in control of it all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Culture, Citizenship & Hiraeth (Part 1)

The Stars