The God of the Mountains

On Monday, my family and I took one of our "squeeze it in, last minute" vacations. We headed up to the Great Smokey Mountains and Gatlinburg to spend a few days together before my sisters and I head back to college. We spent time shopping, playing in a mountain creek, and driving through the mountains.

I love the mountains. The Blue Ridge and Great Smoky Mountains, part of the Appalachian Mountain Range, are my favorite place to vacation. I adore watching clouds roll across the Blue Ridge Mountains or standing on the Blue Ridge Parkway on a clear day and watching the mountains melt into each other in a blue haze. I also enjoy the name-sake mist that cloaks the sides of the Great Smokies on most days.

View from the Foothills Parkway in the Great Smoky Mountains
Why do I like these mountains so much? That's hard to put into words. When I look up at the mountains, I see the majesty and power of a mighty God. Have you ever thought about the fact that the God who created the mountains, the God who created all the things I enjoy about them, created me and you?

Moss on a rock, just one of the many details God took time to create
As beautiful as the mountains are, they are not His greatest creation.
"So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them." ~ Genesis 1:27
WE, you and I, are His greatest masterpiece!

The "Masterpices" playing in a mountain river!
 To me that is a beautiful thought. Creation is beautiful. When I look at the mountains that I love so much, I stand in awe of the Creator who made them. God is awesome! The fact that the God who made all of that, decided that mankind was the what He wanted to make in His image makes me want to sing, dance, and shout His praises. He loves me, He loves you, that much!

So tonight, as I unpack from our short vacation and get ready to repack my bags to go to school, I will thank God for the reminder He gave me. The reminder that He is great, He is good, and He loves me.

God, I thank you! I thank you for the mountains. I thank you for the beauty they present; beauty that points me back to You! Thank you for telling me just how much You love me. Thank you for reminding me that, as gorgeous as the mountains are, you did not make them in Your image. Thank you for creating me in Your image!

Isn't God awesome? With all of this on my heart, I can say YES! Yes, yes, yes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Love Story

Far Away Yet Together

Not My Home