He Knows

It's that time of year: back to school. Those three words fill many students (and teachers) with dread while some parents get excited.

I never really understood going "back to school" until I reached college. I was homeschooled and our schedule didn't include a lengthy summer break. Instead, we took a few extra weeks off during November and December as my family prepared for our annual Open House. We would bake and cook all types of goodies. We also took small vacations a few times during the year. Normally, it was a few days here and a few days there. My Dad is a pastor, so we worked those vacations in whenever we could.

Me (middle), my sisters, and our snowman on one childhood vacation to the mountains!
Now that I'm in college, I understand the meaning of those words a little better. Thankfully, they don't fill me with dread. I'm actually a bit excited. I haven't seen most of my friends from school all summer. It will be nice to exchange stories about our summers and see each other regularly once again.

However, I'd be remiss if I said going back to school was all roses and sunshine. This school year holds a lot of unknown territory. Many of those unknowns are small. Some are big. And if I'm being perfectly honest, I just don't like the unknown. I like to have all the answers, details, and problems worked out. I feel safe and secure. But truth be told, I'm not.

You see, in the past six months God has put the unknown in front of me. I think He got tired of me trying to hold tight to my little security blanket of figuring everything out before hand. As my loving heavenly Father, He has been saying "Trust Me! You don't have all the answers, but don't worry little one: I do." And every time I try to run to myself to find the answers or work out the problem, He loves me enough to gently remove my security blanket. In a way only God could, He reminds me that my answers, my security are empty, but He is not.

As I flipped through the pages of my Bible yesterday, I came to rest in Psalms 18. As I read the words David wrote praising God for delivering him from his enemies, I was reminded that God knew the end of the story even when David didn't. My unknown is known to God. When I am unsure or fear what I do not know, I too can claim what David did:
"I love you, O Lord, my Strength. The Lord is my Rock, my Fortress and my Deliverer; my God is my Rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my Shield and the Horn of my Salvation, my Stronghold."
So as I get ready to move into my apartment at school one week from now, I rest in the knowledge that, in spite of the fact that the unknown is still ahead, my God is my Rock. He knows.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Culture, Citizenship & Hiraeth (Part 1)

Culture, Citizenship & Hiraeth (Part 2)